REVIEW OF BEST DOG FOOD IN INDIA 2020
As dog lovers, all of us want the best for our dogs. The Indian pet industry is one of the fastest-growing industries in the world. Hence, the choice of dog food is overwhelming. This blog is written specifically to help you choose the best dog food in India.
We are a group of dog owners with vast experience in the pet industry. We have tried many of these brands personally and will never recommend something that we won’t personally feed our dogs.
This blog, the best dog food in India 2020, is not only a review but also has information that will empower you to make your own decisions.
BEST DOG FOOD FINDER
With so many dog food brands in the market, how does one choose the best dog food for their dogs? We at barks.in want to help you choose the best dog food that fits your specific needs.
Simply answer the questions below to find out the best dog food for your dog. Click on the buy link to buy the one that suits you the best. Please refresh the page to attempt again.https://quiz.tryinteract.com/#/5fbaa2834820940016983396?method=iframe
AT A GLANCE: OUR TOP 4 BEST DOG FOOD IN INDIA
#1 HOMEMADE DOG FOOD SUPPLEMENTED WITH ROYAL CANIN
Homemade dog food combined with Royal Canin at a ratio of 1:1 is the best and most viable food that you can feed your dog. Most dog owners in India feed their dogs homemade dog food along with a top dry kibble like Royal Canin.
#2 ROYAL CANIN
Royal Canin is the leader in the Indian dog food industry. Royal Canin is the number 1 choice among dog breeders and dog show-ring kennels in India. Every person interviewed has sworn by the quality of ingredients and the results that they have personally observed.
#3 GRAIN ZERO
We have personally used Grain Zero and RC for our dogs. The results are excellent. If you feel Royal Canin is costly, then go for Grain Zero. You get a buy-one-get-one-free option making it the most cost-effective and value-for-money dog food available in India.
#4 FARMINA N&D GRAIN-FREE
Farmina N&D has gained in popularity with their grain-free range of products. We have experienced excellent results feeding Farmina N&D grain-free to our German Shepherds combined with homemade food.
DOG FOOD – THE INDIAN CONTEXT
Today’s Indian dog food market is flooded with a wide array of dog food brands. They offer products that range from a few 100 rupees per kilogram to more than 2000 rupees per kilogram. And, there are diverse types of dog food available in India like
- Dry dog food – Dry kibble, most commonly available online
- Wet canned dog food – Wet dog food, not very popular in India but gaining momentum
- Frozen/dry dog food – Least popular
Unfortunately, the internet is flooded with misinformation. Incorrect online dog food reviews, websites promoting dog food brands for-profit, and YouTube videos continue to propagate misleading information about dog food.
How then do you select the best dog food for your dog? And then there is the Indian context, which needs to address these essential questions
- Can I feed my dog homemade food?
- I am a vegetarian; how can I ensure my dog receives the best food?
- Is commercially processed dog food better than homemade dog food?
This review of the best dog food available in India aims to answer these questions.
WHY SHOULD YOU TRUST OUR DOG FOOD REVIEW?
- We have a combined personal experience of over 60 years in working, loving, and living with dogs in India
- Feedback from top show kennels and breeders in India, for whom the health of their dogs is of utmost importance
- Feedback from Indian veterinarians who can contextualize dog nutrition with unique Indian parameters like
- Indian weather and its influence on a dog’s health,
- Dogs in the Indian way of life
- Building disease resistance on foreign/non-native dog breeds
- We have carried out extensive studies of articles published on authorities like Petmd, and American Kennel Club
We hope this article will enable you to make well-informed decisions based on your dog’s specific nutritional requirements.
DOG NUTRITION 101 – “KNOWLEDGS IS POWER”
Dogs are carnivorous animals that require a balanced proportion of proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals for them to be healthy. A dog’s diet should predominantly contain animal products followed by easily digestible carbohydrates.
In India, dogs are typically fed homemade food. Most dog owners feed their dogs with leftovers. Sometimes, very spicy food. This is not necessarily bad. However, we need to understand, not all human food is good for dogs. The digestive system of a dog vastly differs from that of humans. Hence, care should be taken before feeding leftovers.
THE CORRECT DOG FOOD
When selecting the best dog food in India, look for the below composition in their label
- Meat-based protein at least 22% – protein/meat should be the first item on the label
- Fat to be at least 17%
- Fiber to be at least 5%
- Others like sweet potatoes/carrots/apple
- Vitamin E and C
- Omega fatty acids
Dog nutrition depends on the dog’s age, health, environment, and climatic conditions where they live. Here are two golden rules when choosing the right dog food.
- Golden rule #1: Food without excessive spices is excellent for dogs.
- Golden rule #2: Choose a popular dog food, talk to dog owners, and reputed breeders to understand your dog’s specific requirements in nutrition.
THE INCORRECT DOG FOOD
Knowing what not to feed our dogs is critical. Indian cuisine is famous for its rich flavors and masalas. Feeding spicy food can cause indigestion in dogs. Hence, it is important to distinguish good dog food from bad. Here are golden rules which will help you.
- Golden rule #1: Avoid feeding dogs food that is flavored excessively with masalas and spices.
- Golden rule #2: Do not use products whose ingredients are vague or contains the below
- Corn and wheat gluten
- Meat by-products
- Food dyes
- Rendered fats
- Golden rule #3: Avoid raw dog food in India, because the health risks outweigh the benefits. The BARF diet is a healthy choice if the meat is clean and free from germs.
All dogs are not equal. Hence, the best dog food for one will not be the best for another. Every dog owner needs to understand basic dog nutrition because it is essential for the well being of your dog.
BEST DOG FOOD AVAILABLE IN INDIA 2020
Breeds like German Shepherds, Golden Retrievers, Labrador Retrievers, Rottweilers, Dobermanns, and Great Danes are now a common sight all across India. Hence, our review takes into account that the most popular dog in India is not a native breed of dog. Native Indian dogs, like Rajapalayam, are much easier to maintain and can thrive on just about any food that you can provide them.
#1 HOMEMADE DOG FOOD SUPPLEMENTED WITH ROYAL CANIN
Our preferred choice of dog food for an average Indian dog is homemade food supplemented with Royal Canin. The recommended portion for adult dogs is 50% Royal Canin and 50% homemade food. For puppies, we recommend 75% Royal Canin to 25% homemade food. This is not only healthy but also very cost-effective. Our classic recipe for homemade dog food is.
- 1 cup of rice
- 250gms of chicken
- Carrots/green beans/other veggies 100gms
- 1 whole egg alternate days
All of these are cooked together in a pressure cooker. Before feeding our dogs, we mix this with 250ml of curd/plain yogurt and a teaspoon of virgin coconut oil. We feed our dogs eggs with shells for calcium. We alternate their meals with Royal Canin and other top kibble.
- Works the best in the Indian context
- Helps your non-native dog adapt better to the Indian climate and food
- Helps them in their digestion
- No need for any additional supplements
- Need to innovate the portion size based on close observation
#2 ROYAL CANIN
A vast majority of the dog breeders and people involved in dog show circuits in India stand by Royal Canin. Our own personal experience has been very positive. Also, our dogs love them, and it keeps our dogs healthy. Royal Canin has a wide range of specialized kibble covering different dog breeds, sizes, and types. Royal Canin is also readily available in most pet stores and almost always available through Amazon or Flipkart.
- Dehydrated poultry protein
- Maize and Maize flour
- Animal fats
- Others: Wheat, rice, hydrolyzed animal proteins, maize gluten, beet pulp, minerals, fish oil, soya oil, yeasts and parts thereof, hydrolyzed crustaceans (source of glucosamine), hydrolyzed cartilage (source of chondroitin). Vitamin A: 16000 IU, Vitamin D3: 1000 IU, E1 (Iron): 35 mg, E2 (Iodine): 3.5 mg, E4 (Copper): 11 mg, E5 (Manganese): 45 mg, E6 (Zinc): 129 mg, E8 (Selenium): 0.05 mg – Technological additives: Clinoptilolite of sedimentary origin: 5 g – Preservatives – Antioxidants.
- Protein 22%
- Fat 17%
- Fiber 5.5%
A closer look at the list of ingredients shows why Royal Canin stands out. Royal Canin makes use of dehydrated chicken to ensure there is no loss of protein post preparation. The percentage of protein is only 22%, which meets the minimum requirement for quality dog food. Royal Canin is also supplemented with essential nutrients and minerals. Overall, Royal Canin continues to be an excellent all-around dry dog food.
- Royal Canin is the most accepted brand in India by far
- Most dog breeders stand by Royal Canin
- “Tailored nutrition”, dog breed-specific products
- Not too expensive
- No major recalls
- Some pet owners have expressed mixed results
- People have complained about packaging (probably due to handling)
#3 GRAIN ZERO
We have tried Grain-zero personally and we like it! This is exclusively available on Amazon. There is not much information about this product because of its recent launch. While Grain-zero is not by any means top of the line or premium product, we rate this higher because of our own personal experience. We believe this product is worth a try.
Unfortunately, when it comes to the Indian brand of dog food, you have to still rely on user opinion. There is no information about the ingredients used or about the manufacturer.
- Nice price point, they also offer to buy one and get one free on Amazon
- We could not find any unacceptable ingredients
- Quality of packaging is good, vacuum packed
- Positive reviews from dog breeders who have used this brand
- There is little information available on the internet, except that the product cover has www.drools.in
- Some have complained about poor packaging
- A recent entrant into the market, only time will tell
#4 FARMINA N&D GRAIN FREE
Farmina N&D has gained in popularity with their grain-free range of products. They are the only brand in India that provides different flavors for our dogs. We have experienced very positive results feeding Farmina N&D grain free to our dogs combined with homemade food. Also, their grain free dog food is available at most online retailers.
- Boneless chicken, dehydrated chicken
- Sweet potatoes
- Chicken fat, dried whole eggs, herring, dehydrated herring, herring oil
- Others: Pea fiber, dried carrot, sun-cured alfalfa meal, chicken cartilage (source of glucosamine hydrochloride and chondroitin sulfate), inulin, fructooligosaccharide, yeast extract, dried pomegranate, dried apple, dried spinach, psyllium seed husk, dried sweet orange, dried blueberry, salt, brewers dried yeast, turmeric, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, ascorbic acid, niacin, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, choline chloride, beta-carotene, zinc methionine hydroxy analogue chelate, manganese methionine hydroxy analogue chelate, ferrous glycine, copper methionine hydroxy analogue chelate, selenium yeast, DL-Methionine, taurine, L-Carnitine, aloe vera gel concentrate, green tea extract, rosemary extract, mixed tocopherols (a preservative)
- Protein 36%
- Fat 22%
- Fiber 2.3%
Farmina’s grain-free is another excellent choice. It includes Herring and Aloe Vera these constitute an abundant source of Omega 3 and essential anti-oxidants. Farmina’s grain-free dog food has 36% of protein which is much higher than Royal Canin and additionally includes multiple fruit extracts. Overall an excellent choice.
- A comprehensive range of choices like grain-free, low-grain are available in multiple flavors
- Quality ingredients, gluten-free and GMO-free
- Positive feedback from people who have used it
- Compares favorably with Royal Canin
- Too many choices make it confusing for new dog owners
- Yet to be fully adopted by the professional dog breeders community
#5 CANINE CREEK DOG FOOD
Canine Creek dog food is a new entrant into the dog food scene in India. They offer a grain-free range of products for starters (newborn puppies), puppies, and adult dogs.
Canine Creek is an India based company manufacturing high-quality dog food locally. We got a 4 kg Adult bag from Amazon for our dogs to check.
The packaging was neat, beautiful sealed zip lock bag with a message to save the environment. The kibble was very similar to Grain Zero, in color, size, and texture. Our dogs enjoyed it.
We were impressed with the ingredients list on two counts.
- 48% real free-range chicken, with fruit-based anti-oxidants.
- They are the first Indian dog food company to provide a list of their ingredients.
- Well-chosen ingredients in optimal balance.
- Excellent price point, not very expensive.
- The packing quality was excellent, and reusability was a nice touch.
- Positive feedback from users.
- Unproven company in the market.
- While the price is ok, it is not competitive. At the same price, grain zero offers buy one and get one free option.